Last night we had a Mexican themed Valentines Day party, I was in charge of bringing the queso normally I would of got a block of fake cheese and mixed it with Rotel but this time I decided to try a recipe for a healthy version of queso. I didn’t tell anyone what was in it till everyone tried it and I waited for their reaction. Everyone went NUTS no pun intended, they all literally freaked out, making claims like “This HAS to have meat in it” “There is cheese in it I taste it”`NOPE non of any of that! Its healthy its delicious and it taste like Chilis queso. Try it you won’t go back to real cheese!
1 Cup Cashews
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Red bell pepper diced
1 Small onion diced
1 Jalapeno diced
2 Teaspoons Cumin
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 Cups Chicken Broth or Vegetable
2 Tablespoons White Miso Paste
2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- Place cashews in bowl and cover with eater. Let soak for at least 8 hours or over night
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Add bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder. Cook till soft, take off heat let cool for a bit.
- Drain and rinse cashews and put into a food processor or blender, add the broth, miso, cornstarch and puree on high for up to 10 minutes till its sillky smooth. Then add the pepper mixture, nutritional yeast, and salt blend again till everything is mixed.
- Pour the “queso” into the same pan you used for the peppers and cook on low heat for 15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips!